Canadian Trading Monthly
Monthly ETP Review
US Securities Volumes
April 2, 2020
- Volumes broke multiple records as the VIX average daily close soared 194.14% m/m (298.59% y/y), to an all-time monthly high of 57.74.
- Equity ADV rose 69.05% m/m (107.43% y/y), to 15.65 billion, blowing away the previous monthly record of 12.30 billion (March 2009).
- Year-to-date equity ADV is up 45.79% from the same period last year and 56.15% higher than full-year 2019.
- Cboe BZX (+132 bps m/m), Nasdaq (+69 bps m/m) and NYSE Arca (+60 bps m/m) gained the most market share; Off-exchange venues and NYSE lost 112 bps and 76 bps respectively.
- Block market share fell 108 bps m/m, to 7.99% of total equities volume.
- Closing prints accounted for 5.98% of equities volume last month, down 130 bps m/m.
- 13.42% of closing volume occurred off-exchange, off 779 bps from February.
- ETP ADV more than doubled (104.65% m/m; 177.90% y/y) to 4.14 bn, shattering the December 2018 high of 2.41 billion, while accounting for 26.48% of equity ADV, also a record (+461 bps m/m).
- Equity-options ADV inched up 0.43% m/m (54.24% y/y), to 26.9 million, a third consecutive monthly record.
- Year-to-date, equity options ADV is up 46.16% from the same period last year, and 44.40% higher than full-year 2019.
- In equity options, Cboe BZX (+346 bps m/m), MIAX Emerald (+291 bps m/m) and Nasdaq NOM (+287 bps m/m) posted big market-share gains; Nasdaq PHLX (-287 bps m/m), MIAX Pearl (-149 bps) and Cboe C2 (-131 bps m/m) lost the most.
- Index-options ADV climbed 23.93% m/m (74.49% y/y), to 3.26 million.